Friday, August 3, 2012

life for you is a dashing bold adventure...so SING and rejoice and SING and rejoice!

and just like that, we're off...

12 films in 12 months...

Some will ask, "why?";  most will not give a shit and to them I say "shuttayouface".

As for the why...

the simple reason would be, "because it's there".

a more complex (read: arty) reason would be the following:

So I read some interview with some guy (who? Not important right now) and he said (and I’m paraphrasing) “people ask me how to break into the business and I tell them ‘go make one short film a month for the next year and come back and ask me again’” the idea being, of course, that to break in, one needs to actually get out there and start generating product; something along the lines of the old lottery prayer joke, “Joe, meet me half way, buy a ticket” kinda thing.

So I’ve decided to do just that. Starting now, I’m planning on making one short film a month for a year. Each film will be “premiered” here  and hopefully be accompanied by some behind the scenes stuff.


A few things of note:

--This project is an experiment in QUANTITY, not necessarily Quality (although I hope they are not mutually exclusive). The goal is to make a short film a month for one year, not to churn out mini epics every four weeks. The goal is to see how I am changed by this process. It’s an experiment. Obviously I will be doing my absolute best but don’t you be expecting no Citizen Kane or, the southern equivilant, Smokey and the Bandit, every month.

--nobody will ever get paid. Nothing. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Zero. Nada. Nein. Niltch. Everyone on this project (including me) will be working for free and the finished product will be distributed for free here. They will not make money. If the gods smile and somehow it gets attention and advertisers come and little checks from Blogger start pouring in, I will not retroactively pay anyone.

--If you live in the Jersey area, and want to participate, come one come all…you can direct, act, DP, grip, sound mix, edit, whatever you’d like. Meaning if you have that script but really want to direct it yourself, I will be your huckleberry (read: producer). Like I said, the goal is in the doing of the movies…and a little community building never hurt anyone.

And that is it. 

So let’s get to getting to…

1 comment:

  1. Congrats Kirk. This is way cool.
    Can't wait to see them all. Good luck my friend.

    ReplyDelete