Thursday, January 3, 2013

The sixth one: new year...old script...new actor!

Uncle. Niece.

We tried to do this one in November, after Sandy fucked up the November script (Boo...which is now going to be April's film...unless I just decide to scrap it altogether since it seems like every time we try to make it, some huge catastrophe occurs.) but then some actor-centric personal issues derailed that. And, as with everything else HTKYIOY related, it would seem that was actually one of those meant-to-be moments because I now get to make Uncle. Niece. with the incomparable Ilana Mollick playing Joey.



Ilana was cast after a bona fide NEW YORK audition, which I said I wasn't going to do but decided to after I had exhausted my own personal talent pool (although you WILL see Franny again, sports fans).  I met four (out of ten that were called in, four showed up...hmmmmmm) supremely talented actors who, although Ilana was the perfect Joey, I will definitely be asking to participate in other HTKYIOY entries. So stay tuned.

January also marks a shift in the aesthetic of HTKYIOY. The first five were kinda all about just getting the things done.  I'd like to use the rest of the project to start honing certain skills so each month from now on will, in addition to trying to make a great flick, also include a technical and/or artistic challenge.

This month we are (finally) going to get our shit together with regards to SOUND. Sound, the bane of my directorial existence and pretty much the long-running comment that anyone who watches these (or my feature, F**k New York) makes.  So for January I will be focused on creating a great sounding film.

stay tuned...and as always, thanks for your time...and attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment